Hi Old High St Stephen’s Church,
I’m sure you know by now the devastation that has been wrought on the eastern city of Derna in Libya by Storm Daniel.
On Sunday 10th, just over a week ago, extremely heavy rainfall caused two dams to burst – sending torrents of water and debris through streets and communities.
Thousands have lost their lives, homes have been destroyed and the daily rhythm of life turned upside down. It’s hard to imagine the scale of the suffering. We know the death toll will continue to rise as more bodies are uncovered but, already, rescuers and aid agency staff are working hard to bring relief and hope to all they can.
Christian Aid has therefore launched an appeal to strengthen the support we can give through our partner, Dan Church Aid, to people who have lost their homes, livelihoods and loved ones.
Please give today to support our life-saving response to this emergency.
We are working together with Dan Church Aid, our partner, who are long-established in Libya. Emergency supplies, to meet the most basic and pressing needs, will be given out to families who are facing the coming weeks without a home or any of their possessions:
- Medical assistance, supplies and pharmaceuticals
- Emergency shelter
- Sanitation and hygiene kits
- Longer term, Dan Church Aid will look to contribute rubble clearance and reconstruction efforts, using machinery. With winter approaching, needs will become even more acute, so they will be helping families prepare.
- In this critical moment, we seek your solidarity and compassion. Together, we can make a tangible difference in the lives of those affected by this crisis.
- Thank you,
- Michael Mosselmans
- Head of Humanitarian
- Christian Aid
- P.S. Families have been devastated, losing their homes and the people they love. If you can, please give now, to send life-saving supplies to those most in need.